Dunseith, North Dakota

Gateway to the Peace Gardens

Nursing Home St. Michael Catholic Church Heritage Chapel City Hall Log House Wee'l Turtle


Dunseith was platted in 1882. The town is named for Jeannette Dunseith Eaton, who was the mother of the town's founder William Eaton. A post office has been in operation in Dunseith since 1884. The city was incorporated in 1908.

Dùnsìth is a Gaelic word meaning "City of Peace," from dùn (English: fortress) and sìth (English: peace). It is fitting that Dunseith is the Gateway to the International Peace Gardens located just 14 miles North.


Dunseith City Hall • 13 1st St NW • Dunseith, ND 58329 • 701-244-5596 • fax: 701-244-2591